[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Wed Jan 18 00:21:30 PST 2006

Bob Braden wrote:
> I must admit to being rather confused at this point.
>
> We have known for some time that the first page is 1-2 lines short (or
> is it long?), but we did not think the footer bounced up and down after
> the first page.  Does anyone have an example?

The first page is 2 lines longer (58 and 56 lines respectively) than the
rest of the pages. This occur in all RFCs I have involved in writing:
3267, 3890, 3984, and 4352.

> Having the footers bounce up and down would be, at least, an
> "undersirable feature".  This would be true even if the printing
> process does the right thing with ^L.
>
> I just spent (wasted?) and hour looking at rfcnnnn.txt files and the
> corresponding .nroff files used to create them.  I find an apparent
> lack of causality between the line spacing in the .nroff source and the
> blank lines on the page.  As I said, I am confused.

So the footer only bounces up from the first to the second page.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com