[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 17 15:40:40 PST 2006

I must admit to being rather confused at this point.

We have known for some time that the first page is 1-2 lines short (or
is it long?), but we did not think the footer bounced up and down after
the first page.  Does anyone have an example?

Having the footers bounce up and down would be, at least, an
"undersirable feature".  This would be true even if the printing
process does the right thing with ^L.

I just spent (wasted?) and hour looking at rfcnnnn.txt files and the
corresponding .nroff files used to create them.  I find an apparent
lack of causality between the line spacing in the .nroff source and the
blank lines on the page.  As I said, I am confused.

Bob Braden