[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 17 10:28:48 PST 2006

Keith Moore wrote:
>> Well, I don't see how you can say this is an bug in MS, to me it seems
>> to be a bug in the produced RFCs. They don't have the same number of
>> lines with text.
>
> That's the whole point in using form feeds - so that all of the pages
> don't have to have exactly the same number of lines of text, and so that
> the document will still print with its text aligned on output pages
> given different type and media sizes.
>
>> Are you saying that this is an result of my side using MS or the
>> RFC-editor running MS?
>
> There's nothing wrong with the RFC's
>
> RFC document format worked extremely well across the much wider variety
> of character sizes and file formats that were in use in the mid-1970s
> when RFCs began to be written, and continued to work just fine on every
> platform until Microsoft stopped supporting the ability of its OS to
> print ASCII.

It's not Micrsoft OS - it is the application.

Try saving the file to the desktop; open with "Wordpad", then print as
usual.

I don't know why neither IE nor Firefox 'do the right thing' when
rendering ASCII to PS/PCL or whatever your printer takes. I tested
Wordpad with a Brother and an IBM printer, and it does fine. I inserted
^Ls (using xemacs) and then print-previewed and printed it using
Wordpad; both work fine.

Joe