[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 17 00:31:27 PST 2006

Keith Moore wrote:
>> Well, I don't see how you can say this is an bug in MS, to me it seems
>> to be a bug in the produced RFCs. They don't have the same number of
>> lines with text.
>

> That's the whole point in using form feeds - so that all of the pages
> don't have to have exactly the same number of lines of text, and so that
> the document will still print with its text aligned on output pages
> given different type and media sizes.

Sure, but when you have a footer that are always present on the last
line, then that footer jumps up and down on the pages. If the footer
wasn't there I wouldn't argue at all, because then I wouldn't notice it.

>> Are you saying that this is an result of my side using MS or the
>> RFC-editor running MS?
>

> There's nothing wrong with the RFC's
>
> RFC document format worked extremely well across the much wider variety
> of character sizes and file formats that were in use in the mid-1970s
> when RFCs began to be written, and continued to work just fine on every
> platform until Microsoft stopped supporting the ability of its OS to
> print ASCII.

I do use an editor that can print FF properly. I do get new pages after
each form feed. So please don't confuse the matter with this side track.

As I see it, the used page lengths of RFC varies between pages and is
clearly visible due to the footer on each page. And if this is not a
formating "bug", what is it then (a feature ;-))?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com