[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Magnus Westerlund magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
Fri Jan 13 04:47:05 PST 2006

Thanks Bob,

Bob Braden wrote:
>   *> Hi,
>   *>
>   *> Something that I at least have a really hard understand is why the first
>   *> page of the RFCs has one more line than the rest of the pages. Are there
>   *> any good reasons or is it a historical artifact?
>   *>
>
> We believe it is a historical (an historical?) artifact.  Many years
> ago the RFC Editor settled on the ms macro package for nroff, and its
> property seems to be that it does not print a header on the first page
> but it does include a blank line.  Rather a pragmatic outcome, but
> the decision was made over 20 years ago, when the Internet had a few
> thousand hosts.

Okay, however can I expect that this is corrected? I personally get
annoyed on it, especially as it is very obvious when I print two pages
to a side. However more importantly, it is a counter argument against me
requesting my WG editors to produce documents with equal length pages. I
think that is of some importance for readability. At least for myself
personally that detects and react to these issues.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com