[rfc-i] The page length of the first page in the RFC series

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 12 15:52:19 PST 2006

  *> Hi,
  *>
  *> Something that I at least have a really hard understand is why the first
  *> page of the RFCs has one more line than the rest of the pages. Are there
  *> any good reasons or is it a historical artifact?
  *>

We believe it is a historical (an historical?) artifact.  Many years
ago the RFC Editor settled on the ms macro package for nroff, and its
property seems to be that it does not print a header on the first page
but it does include a blank line.  Rather a pragmatic outcome, but
the decision was made over 20 years ago, when the Internet had a few
thousand hosts.

Bob Braden

  *> I would appreciate an answer this. Both for myself and to have a good
  *> explanation for my WG participants when we discuss this.
  *>
  *> Cheers
  *>
  *> Magnus Westerlund
  *>
  *> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
  *> Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
  *> Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
  *> S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: magnus.westerlund at ericsson.com
  *> rfc-interest mailing list
  *> rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org