[rfc-i] Unnecessary backslashes in RFC announcements

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Feb 6 08:28:59 PST 2006

Greetings again. At least one recent RFC announcement has unnecessary
backslashes in the text body. See, for example,
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg02125.html>

>We propose here a service that enables nodes located behind one or
>more IPv4 Network Address Translations (NATs) to obtain IPv6
>connectivity by tunneling packets over UDP; we call this the Teredo
>service.  Running the service requires the help of \"Teredo servers\" and
>\"Teredo relays\".  The Teredo servers are stateless, and only have to
>manage a small fraction of the traffic between Teredo clients; the
>Teredo relays act as IPv6 routers between the Teredo service and the
>\"native\" IPv6 Internet.  The relays can also provide interoperability
>with hosts using other transition mechanisms such as \"6to4\".
>[STANDARDS TRACK]

Now, all of us dweebs understand why you would precede a quote
character with a backslash in various programming languages, but it
is really not needed in free text, such as in messages about
published RFCs.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium