[rfc-i] URL checking

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Oct 21 01:10:37 PDT 2005

At 21:38 05/10/18, Joe Touch wrote:

 >Rather than continuing the debate on whether URIs are persistent or how
 >persistent, let me ask a different question:
 >
 >- would a test that says "page found" be sufficient? I.e., anything
 >other than a connection error or page-not-found is fine?

Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings: I think it would
be good for URIs that turn up in the reference section. But please
don't try and start to use it in the text itself. That may lead to
a lot of false negatives (URIs that don't resolve but still should
be in the spec) due to examples. Look at RFC 3986 and RFC 3987 for
some.

Regards,   Martin.