[rfc-i] URL checking

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 20 10:26:05 PDT 2005

> >Seriously, checking URLs is part of our normal procedure, and
> >sometimes we heve
> >to go back to authors about a bad URL.
>
>Good to hear that! I'm glad you don't find it has prohibitive as Joe does.

I should make clear that the current approach is highly pragmatic... we only
make sure that a browser is able to open the specified page and that it is
not e.g., a porn site. ;-)   That is far short of ensuring that the page
pointed to is exactly the page the RFC author intended.  Since URLs
are not stable references, this sounds ultimately infeasible, as a matter of
principle.  Joe is correct about that.

Bob Braden