[rfc-i] URL checking

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 19 22:16:48 PDT 2005

At 07:26 AM 10/17/2005 -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>Greetings again. During the editing process, does the RFC Editor
>check whether the URLs in references work? I just found a bad URL in
>a document that is in the queue. (I told the authors, of course, and
>they'll fix it in AUTH48.)

Paul,

I apologize forf not responding earlier.  The answer is definitely maybe. ;)
Seriously, checking URLs is part of our normal procedure, and sometimes we heve
to go back to authors about a bad URL.  I was not clear from your message
whether we had completed prrocessing on the particular document with
a bad URL, but there is always a possibility that we missed one.

More generally, we try our best to avoid URLs that do not look like they
have a reasonable chance of being stable over a reasonable time
period.

Bob Braden for the RFC Editor