[rfc-i] URL checking

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed Oct 19 15:54:28 PDT 2005

Why are we having this discussion?  Have we stopped trusting the RFC
Editor to exercise a reasonable amount of discretion about how much
scrutiny to give to content?

Offhand, I think it makes sense if the RFC Editor applies about the same
amount of scrutiny to online references that are applied to
physical-media references.  But if the RFC Editor wants to spend a bit
more time looking at online references because they're easier to access
than physical media references, I don't have a problem with that.
Also, circumstances will change over time, and I'd expect the RFC
Editor's practice to change along with the circumstances.