[rfc-i] URL checking

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Oct 19 11:19:45 PDT 2005

At 12:56 PM -0400 10/19/05, Keith Moore wrote:
>I suspect the real cost is in context switching.  Every time the RFC
>Editor finds something that causes the document to be deferred, it is
>necessary to change the state of the document, send notices to the
>appropriate parties, etc.  The checks must then be made again when the
>new document and/or corrections are submitted, and the person doing the
>check may have to rediscover the particulars of that document.

Such a context switch only happens if this is the *only*
process-stopping bug in the document. Otherwise, it could clearly be
ganged with another.

It seems that the cost of a context switch instead of publishing an
RFC with a known-bad reference is worth it.

>How many URLs per the last 100 RFCs?
>
>   henrik at shiraz $ egrep -h  "(http|ftp|https)://" $(ls rfc4???.txt|
>tail -100) | grep -v "http://www.ietf.org/ipr" | wc -l
>   160

Tool weenies: gotta love 'em. :-)

>So that's about 1.6 URL per RFC.

Meaning, about one additional minute per RFC. Maybe this would not be
prohibitive (or even measurable).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium