[rfc-i] URL checking

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed Oct 19 09:56:08 PDT 2005

> At 6:42 PM -0700 10/18/05, Joe Touch wrote:
> >I suspect the cost of manual checking by others is prohibitive
>
> How much would it cost? How much is prohibitive? Determining both of
> these answers is fairly trivial.
>
> It should take about an hour to scan the last 50 issued RFCs and
> extract all the URLs to get a count to determine the average number
> of URLs per RFC. It is safe to estimate that resolving a URL and
> looking at the first screen takes less than 30 seconds. Dividing the
> average number of URLs per RFC by 120, then multiplying the result by
> the dollars per hour the staff who is doing this gets paid, the
> multiplying the result by the average number of RFCs per year, tells
> the cost per year of the RFC Editor adding this service.

I suspect the real cost is in context switching.  Every time the RFC
Editor finds something that causes the document to be deferred, it is
necessary to change the state of the document, send notices to the
appropriate parties, etc.  The checks must then be made again when the
new document and/or corrections are submitted, and the person doing the
check may have to rediscover the particulars of that document.

Keith