[rfc-i] URL checking

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Oct 19 09:30:59 PDT 2005

At 6:42 PM -0700 10/18/05, Joe Touch wrote:
>I suspect the cost of manual checking by others is prohibitive

How much would it cost? How much is prohibitive? Determining both of
these answers is fairly trivial.

It should take about an hour to scan the last 50 issued RFCs and
extract all the URLs to get a count to determine the average number
of URLs per RFC. It is safe to estimate that resolving a URL and
looking at the first screen takes less than 30 seconds. Dividing the
average number of URLs per RFC by 120, then multiplying the result by
the dollars per hour the staff who is doing this gets paid, the
multiplying the result by the average number of RFCs per year, tells
the cost per year of the RFC Editor adding this service. This can
then be compared to what the IAOC considers prohibitive.

>  - authors ought to do those checks.

We do. We also check our spelling and grammar. And the RFC Editor
does all those tasks better than many of us do them.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium