[rfc-i] URL checking

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed Oct 19 06:38:26 PDT 2005

>>not clear at all.  typing "Keith Moore" into google gives different results
>>from one month to the next, whereas typing http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore
>>has given consistent results for several years.
>

> I said "largely". We're talking about citations in RFCs; IMO, they
> should be specific enough anyway, i.e., "Keith Moore UTK", which would
> probably work just fine. If not, a better citation is in order (Keith
> Moore University of Kentucky), rather than necessarily needing a URL.

I think you have it backwards.  The URL is a precise reference.  If it
resolves to a document, it's highly likely to be the correct document.
The citation examples you are giving are less precise.  For example, if
one is referring to a document, title and authors are not sufficient, as
  it's not unusual for authors to revise a document or rewrite it for a
different audience but using the same title.  There's a reason that
print references are generally expected to have precise dates and/or
volume and page numbers.

Google hasn't lessened the need for precise references.  It may have
increased the need, as it's becoming easier to make the _wrong_
inference when using a search engine.

Keith

p.s. oh, and FWIW, it's University of Tennessee (Knoxville).