[rfc-i] URL checking

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Oct 18 07:06:48 PDT 2005

> Rather than continuing the debate on whether URIs are persistent or how
> persistent, let me ask a different question:
>
> - would a test that says "page found" be sufficient? I.e., anything
> other than a connection error or page-not-found is fine?

I don't know how to answer a question about sufficiency.  A test such
as you describe would improve the quality of RFCs.  A manual test -
say, one which checked to see that that URL pointed to something that
looked like the document being referenced, would improve the quality
of RFCs more than an automatic test.  It's a question of cost-vs-benefit.

Keith