[rfc-i] New NEWS item on RFC Editor web site

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 6 11:56:48 PDT 2005

Hi Bob.

>      On September 27, the RFC Editor installed a program to
>      automatically generate the publication queue file daily from our
>      master database. The queue file had been maintained manually,
>      which sometimes led to errors. Our intent in this change was that
>      users should see no differences (except for lack of errors), but
>      of course there were some initial glitches. Please notify us of
>      problems with the new queue.

This seems like a good change!

>      One feature has been added to the queue: each normative reference
>      entry ("REF") now indicates whether the referenced document is in
>      the queue. Our current policy is to not begin editing a document
>      until all its normative references are also in the queue (or
>      already published, of course).  For example, the following partial
>      entry shows a document in the EDIT state with two unpublished
>      Normative references, one of which has not been received by the
>      RFC Editor:
>

>      2005-03-31      draft-ietf-simple-event-filter-funct-05.txt
>      EDIT
>      REF     draft-ietf-simple-event-list    NOT-RECEIVED
>              draft-ietf-simple-filter-format IN-QUEUE

This is also quite helpful.

Could I suggest one other (seemingly small) change? In the above
example, the simple-event-filter document is actually not being worked
on (yet) and won't be until the NOT-RECIEVED reference becomes
available.  Thus, I think it would be more clear/accurate to give it a
different state name, since it is not actually being actively
"edited".

Indeed, it would be more clear to have "EDIT" reserved for document
that are actively being worked  on, and use a different name for
documents that are in the queue, but for which processing has not
actually begun.

Thanks,
Thomas