[rfc-i] A4 and 8.5x11 (was: Re: draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-08.txt)

John C Klensin john at jck.com
Mon Jan 31 16:04:27 PST 2005

Folks, if memory serves me correctly, there is actually an ISO
Standard that specifies print area dimensions for documents that
might be printed on either paper form.  It is based, to all
intents and purposes, on the width of A4 and the 11 inch length
of the North American size.  My vague recollection is that at
least the earliest versions of Postscript had provisions for it
and that drivers were supposed to do the right thing, partially
because the Postscript itself specified "new page" functions in
the right places.  While anything is possible, I don't imagine
those capabilities have been removed.

So, if we are going to go down this path, it would be good to
dig that spec out and just use it, rather than inventing a new
set of norms of our own.

    john