[rfc-i] draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-08.txt

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Sun Jan 23 12:01:11 PST 2005

On Sun January 23 2005 11:58, Keith Moore wrote:

> It would be difficult to have two versions of a document with different
> typefaces (say, TimesRoman vs. Courier) have both documents look good,
> and get the page breaks in the same places in each document.

If one objective is to have a PostScript version look
like the text version, ideally one would use a
monospaced font like Courier rather than a proportionally
spaced font like Times Roman [1].

> 12pt
> spacing is equivalent to 6 lines/in,

Yes, and that's the same as nroff spacing. But the page
length is different; 9.0 inches per the PostScript
format rules vs. 9.6666667 inches for the text version.

> but using 10pt TimesRoman type, to
> get 72 characters per line you'd need for line lengths to be less than
> 5in.

For a proportionally spaced font like Times Roman, that
would be highly dependent on the text content; a line
of 'i's and a line of 'W's will have very different
lengths.

> The lines aren't going to break in the same places either because
> of proportional spacing, which means that text that's at the bottom of
> page X in one document will be at the top of page X+1 in the next.

Indeed, and the question that I'm raising is whether it's
wise to force that to be the case by requiring the number
of lines of text to be different in text and PostScript
versions.

> And
> one of the reasons you want to use PostScript is to include figures you
> can't adequately represent in plain text, which is also going to change
> page breaks.

Not necessarily; if one uses pic (grap, dformat, etc.)
for simple diagrams and chooses object dimensions
carefully, diagrams can be the same size in text and
PostScript versions.

> > Line length also differs, which can be a problem
> > for diagrams, etc.   8.5 inches page width with 1.0 inch left
> > and right margins leaves a line length of only 6.5 inches.
>
> Which is probably longer than it should be for good readability.

Feel free to argue for reducing the text version line
length below 7.2 inches, as it has been for ages.

1. troff has a mechanism to force a proportionally-spaced
   font to be monospaced, and that is what I did for the
   PS and PDF versions of draft-lilly-text-troff-00. It
   doesn't look great, but line and page breaks are
   consistent (margins, however, do not conform to the
   2233 PostScript format rules.  The next revision of
   that draft will use Courier (as it won't use ms macros).