[rfc-i] draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-08.txt

Bruce Lilly blilly at erols.com
Sat Jan 22 12:35:07 PST 2005

Bob Braden wrote:

> We have just submitted a new Internet Draft that is an update to the
> replacement for RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC Authors.

Regarding PostScript vs. text versions, the draft says:

  3.2  PostScript Format Rules

      (1p) Standard page size is 8 1/2 by 11 inches (216 by 279 mm).

      (2p) Leave a margin of 1 inch (25 mm) on all sides (top, bottom,
           left, and right).

      (3p) Main text should have a point size of no less than 10 points
           with a line spacing of 12 points.

Nroff produces text equivalent to horizontal character width
of 0.1 inch and vertical spacing of 1 Pica (equal to 12 points).
The text lines are therefore 7.2 inches long, and page length
is 58 Picas, or 9 2/3 inches.  The PostScript Format Rules
necessitate different page breaks from text versions, which is
unfortunate.  Line length also differs, which can be a problem
for diagrams, etc.   8.5 inches page width with 1.0 inch left
and right margins leaves a line length of only 6.5 inches. An
11 inch page length with 1.0 inch top and bottom margins leaves
room for 9 inches of text, or 54 lines at 12 point spacing.

Text and PostScript versions could be made identical if the
PostScript Format Rules were revised to use (8.5 - 7.2)/2
or 0.65 inch left and right margins and (11 - 9 2/3)/2 or
2/3 inch top and bottom margins on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.

I believe that there are a number of published RFCs where
the PostScript versions have other than 1.0 inch margins
(e.g. RFC 1168).