[rfc-i] Re: request to deprecate numeric citations in

Carl Malamud carl at media.org
Wed Jan 12 20:57:56 PST 2005

> (2) More generally, the names that are needed to make public
> entities unique are fairly nasty for symbolic references.
> [RFC9999] is fine, but [I-D.ietf-bozo-foo-bar-content] is fairly
> unpleasant.  It is pretty late in the game to think about this,
> but I wonder whether we should have had those external library
> entries structured so that they did not contain the <reference>
> tags themselves.  That would have permitted
>
>    <reference anchor="Bozo05">
>       &foobarcontent;
>    </reference>
>
> or, given the above issue,
>    <reference anchor="N.Bozo95".
>       &foobarcontent;
>    </reference>
>
> But I don't know how to get there now unless we permit
> <reference> to have <reference> elements.  I'd like that for
> compound references, but I gather I'm in the minority for
> wanting those at all.

Hi John -

This is actually pretty easy to do and it's a trick I use fairly
frequently.  You can do this two ways:

1. Write your draft using the existing mechanism.  Then, run
it through a filter that processes the includes.  I use either
a home-grown script or one that Rob Austein wrote and shared with
me.  Marshall's xml2rfc web service or tcl code will do the
same thing: just choose xml as your output format.  Make that
your new master file and edit anchors to your heart's content.
(RFC's are imutable, so you have no risk with those .. if
you do that with I-D's, use Julian's I-D checker stylesheet to
make sure you haven't slipped a version.)

or ...

2. cron+wget Marshall's bibxml* directories, and strip off the
<reference> tags and store them as your own local mirror.
Then, just use the include mechanism, but write your own
<reference anchor="foo"> and <xref target="foo"> tags when
you author.

Before somebody speaks up with protestations of complexity, :)
let me repeat that you can simply use Marshall's web service
to turn RFC and I-D includes into a full <reference> using
a simple OneClick[1]  mechanism.  Just go to xml.resource.org
and load your file.

Regards,

Carl

 [1]  Rose, et. al., Method and System for Converting an RFC
      Via a Communications Network, U.S. Patent Office,
      Patent 5,960,411, Class 705/26, September 28, 1999.