[rfc-i] request to deprecate numeric citations in xml2rfc

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 12 07:26:26 PST 2005

Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
>> There are other versions that work:
>>     Touch85
>>     Touch1985
>>     Touch-85
>> etc. It doesn't matter which one, but it'd be useful to at least
>> suggest  something (even if it isn't desirable to enforce).
>

> Those are better, but still not as good as strings that simply describe
> what the reference is for, such as:
>      AuthMethods
>      RFCWriting
>      TaoOfTheIETF
>
> Please do *not* standardize on an author-based naming system.

I disagree; absent authors or RFCs for that one series, there's no good
way to know how to cite a paper, which means there's no good way to
determine whether a paper is in the (often long list) of references. Did
they name it TaoOfTheIETF? or IETFGeneralInfo?

I have referred to a few document series that use the author version; is
there some reason RFCs are so unique that they need to have such an
informal way of citing?

Joe