[rfc-i] independent submissions to RFC Editor

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 4 13:34:28 PST 2005

  *>
  *> Hi,
  *>
  *> maybe somebody can shed some light on a question about the RFC Editor's
  *> queue works...:
  *>
  *> Sometime last September, I submitted an Internet Draft as "independent
  *> submission" to the RFC Editor
  *> (<http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html#reschke-webdav-property-datatypes>).
  *>   Since then, seven more documents have been submitted, being in the
  *> same state "ISR" ("Independent Submission Review by the RFC Editor").
  *> However, the queue of older documents in the same state doesn't seem to
  *> be processed (there are now 27 older documents in that state, and that
  *> number doesn't seem to change at all).
  *>
  *> So is there something I'm missing? Has this publication method somehow
  *> been deprecated? Should I have submitted the draft to the applicable
  *> Area Director instead?
  *>
  *> Puzzled,
  *>
  *> Julian
  *>

Julian,

The fact is that higher-priority issues (like getting paid by ISOC ;-))
and expediting the publication of RFCs already in the editorial queue has
brought the effective rate of consideration of independent submisssions
to zero.  We hope that in the coming months this situation will improve.

It is also true that there is an unfortunate tendency of independent
submissions to raise substantial issues of conflict with the standards
process (for some members of the IESG, nearly EVERYTHING conflicts with
the standards process), and also for independent submissions to be of
below-acceptable editorial quality, since they have not been ground
down in a working group.  (I am sure neither is true for YOUR document,
;-), but some that precede yours in the queue are certainly guilty.)

Bob Braden for the RFC Editor