[rfc-i] ABNF (RFC2234) vs HTTP's augmented BNF syntax (RFC822 + RFC2616)

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Sat Feb 12 12:14:02 PST 2005

Julian,

I don't quite understand the question.  It would seem that if you
invoke what you call the "implied *LWS" rule, then your "# rule"
can be replaced by the "*" rule of RFC 2234 section 3.6.  What
am I missing?

In general, standardizing on a single syntax notation seems like a
very good idea.  Also, the RFC Editor checks every instance of
ABNF using an ABNF checker, often revealing minor errors, BTW.
If you introduce a new notation, will you give us a new checker
for it? (And do we want to maintain two checkers? Not really...)

Bob Braden