[rfc-i] independent submissions to RFC Editor

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Apr 24 03:55:32 PDT 2005

Back in January, Bob Braden wrote in
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2005-January/000232.html>:

> The fact is that higher-priority issues (like getting paid by ISOC ;-))
> and expediting the publication of RFCs already in the editorial queue has
> brought the effective rate of consideration of independent submisssions
> to zero.  We hope that in the coming months this situation will improve.
>
> It is also true that there is an unfortunate tendency of independent
> submissions to raise substantial issues of conflict with the standards
> process (for some members of the IESG, nearly EVERYTHING conflicts with
> the standards process), and also for independent submissions to be of
> below-acceptable editorial quality, since they have not been ground
> down in a working group.  (I am sure neither is true for YOUR document,
> ;-), but some that precede yours in the queue are certainly guilty.)

Out of curiosity: has any progress been made on this issue? Can any
progress be expected in the near future?

If the answer to both is "no", I'd suggest that the RFC Editor starts to
warn authors of individual submissions that their documents aren't going
to be published in the foreseeable future. That way, they would at least
be made aware that they need to either find an interested AD, or to move
their work into a Working Group to get it published.

Best regards, Julian