[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide-00.txt

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Sep 8 13:17:49 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

> My perception, backed by experiments on "honeypot" web pages, is
> that simply obscuring of email addresses, such as braden-at-isi.edu,
> maybe even braden @ isi.edu, or braden%40isi.edu will fool automated
> address harvesters.

Automated harvesters are being improved. I doubt the above trick, even
if it works today, would have any long-term impact.

It seems reasonable to me to provide sufficient contact information,
where "sufficient" is defined by the author. After all, IESG or RFC
Editor currently do not have a reliable way to identify an author.
Thus, any other policy would simply encourage concerned folks to
submit fake information.

> If the address database is protected by something as simple as the
> image-recognition "Turing" test, robot address crawlers would not be
> able to get to them.

Same for automated tools that need such access for legitimate reasons.

Since RFCs are long-lived documents, I would just hope that the spam
crawlers problem is solved soon enough, by means external to RFC
Editor or address rendering.

Alex.