[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide-00.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 22:45:51 PDT 2004

Bob Braden wrote:
> More commonly, the auth48 process is held up because one of the authors
> discovers something that they had overlooked and asks for a change,
> which then has be negotiated among the authors and with the responsible
> ADs.  Our first priority is to get it right, since published RFCs
> cannot be changed and may be important for 10 years or more.

That's fine, and I agree with this goal. It's just that I think that it
could be achieved more effectively if edits on the *content* (language,
spelling and so on) are done on the author's *source* document, and
other changes (whitespace, indentation, ...) only occur when the actual
content is fixed. Doing both at the same time makes it needlessly hard
to track unintended changes.

Best regards, Julian