[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide-00.txt

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue Sep 7 16:34:28 PDT 2004

  *>
  *> > >Th author's address section, which is required for all RFCs, gives the
  *> > >name(s) and contact information for the author(s) who are listed in
  *> > >the first-page header.  Contact information must include at least a
  *> > >postal address, a telephone number, and/or a long-lived email address.
  *> > >
  *> > >==> this is not correct.  postal and telephone address and such are
  *> > >not required.. and there are good reasons for that [I certainly
  *> > >don't want to be called, faxed or spammed by snailmail]
  *> >
  *> > According to draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis, at least one is required.
  *>
  *> Well, RFC editor doesn't seem to be requiring them, as multiple RFCs
  *> have been published without such information (e.g., mine, but probably
  *> others' as well).

The RFC Editor would very much like to require full contact
information, but increasingly we have authors who are unwilling to have
complete information listed.  Some claim to not have a fixed address
(and since the Dot-com bust, this is quite common!).  More distressing
is the problem of spammers harvesting email addresses from RFCs.  We
really want contact information for authors, but how do we provide it
without helping the spammers?  Maybe the email addresses should be in a
separate database? But that would seem to simply make the spammer job
easier.

Bob Braden for the RFC Editor