[rfc-i] Spelling out abbreviations in RFC titles

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue Sep 7 15:58:46 PDT 2004

  *>                        Management Information Base
  *>                    for Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP)

  *>                Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
  *>                     Management Information Base (MIB)
  *>

Paul,

RFCs are written by people and for people, not by machines or for
machines.  Absolute rules have a habit of failing in particular
cases, and judgment is required.  You may not always agree with our
judgments, of course, and we welcome input.  We have few rules
but a lot of guidelines.  "Well-known abbreviations" fall under
guidelines.

The RFC Editor occasionally publishes with titles that I don't like
very much myself, but I would submit that the two titles you cite above
are both clear and concise.  On the whole, I believe we have been doing
a pretty good job on titles in an increasingly complex and micro-
scopically engineered protocol world.

Otherwise, I don't get what you are on about.

  *> Spelling out the names of protocols being discussed in the specific
  *> RFC makes sense if it can be done gracefully, but spelling out common

We believe that we do it gracefully. However, the authors need not be
concerned about this issue.  We will, and sometimes do, make title
adjustments to reach clarity and conciseness (with the authors'
permission, of course.)

Bob Braden for the RFC Editor