[rfc-i] Spelling out abbreviations in RFC titles

Graham Klyne GK-lists at ninebynine.org
Mon Sep 6 10:48:43 PDT 2004

This is close to something that occurred to me when this topic was
mentioned before...

(a) Spell out all except "well known" abbreviations

(b) Create a list of "well known" abbreviations at some publicly accessible
location

(c) Add to the boilerplate or some common document location a note
indicating where the list of "well known" abbreviations can be
found.  (Maybe, also add such a note to I-D announcements?)

Roughly, the rationale is that there is a clear and easily followed path
for anyone (including complete novices) to find the meaning of any acronym,
without forcing document titles (and bodies) to become unnecessarily clumsy.

(This message is silent about the desirability of maintaining a list of
abbreviations that are always expanded.)

#g