[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc-author-guide-00.txt

Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Fri Sep 3 01:28:43 PDT 2004

Hi Paul,

Just picking on one point out of all of those covered by you and Pekka:

On Thursday,  2 Sep 2004, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> Thanks for the extensive comments!
>
> At 2:42 PM +0300 9/2/04, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >I'm intrigued -- could you elaborate on what are these things which
> >turn out to be irrelevant?
>
> Well, there were many. For example, the history of RFCs is
> interesting but irrelevant to someone who is turning in their draft
> to become an RFC unless they have never read other RFCs; that is
> rare. Other things removed include the Postscript formatting rules
> (which apply to very few people and are probably best dealt with by
> the RFC Editor on a case-by-case basis), header and footer formats
> (which are added by the RFC Editor, not the person turning in the
> draft), and so on.

Could we include the format of header and footer lines?

One of the points which still sometimes upsets the idnits[1] tool, when
parsing a draft to check those nits that can be automatically checked,
is varying format for header and footer lines. (These have to be
stripped, and paragraphs which have been split over the page break
has to be reassembled, before checks against required boiler plate
text can be done.)  For this reason I would see it as better to have
the header and footer line format described.

The same goes for the rfc-specific rfcdiff tool[2] used by some authors
and autogenerated WG draft pages[3] - it also strips out headers and
footers (if it can find them) in order to only show diffs in the running
text, not un-interesting diffs caused by page breaks.

Finally, the secretariat and the tools team[4] is now working at specifying
a I-D submission tool, where some boilerplate checking will be done
(not checking everything that idnits does, though) - and again I expect
that header stripping will need to be done before attemting to identify
the presence of required boilerplate).

	Regards,
		Henrik

[1] http://ietf.levkowetz.com/tools/idnits/