[rfc-i] new BCP number when RFC is updated?

Peter Koch pk at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon Oct 25 01:21:36 PDT 2004

Folks,

I'm not sure whether this is an RFC Editor or an IETF process question, but
let's see. On Friday, RFC 3934 was announced, which is an update to RFC 2418.
RFC 2418 is BCP0025 and RFC 3934 is BCP0094. Now I'm wondering why
RFC 3934 was assigned its own BCP number instead of being added to the
BCP0025 set. RFC 2026 allows for 'a' BCP to consist of more than one RFC:

   A specification, or group of specifications, that has, or have been
   approved as a BCP is assigned a number in the BCP series while
   retaining its RFC number(s).

Although they do exist for the STD series I could not find any precedent
(multi-RFC 'set') in the BCP list. However, IMHO it would be easier to
keep track if related documents would be ref'd by a single BCP number.
Could anyone point me to some (archived) reasoning?

Thanks,
  Peter