[rfc-i] Draft: Representation of Unicode and UTF-8 characters

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Sat May 15 10:36:57 PDT 2004

> Note that the polished wording I proposed does not imply that "names
> in acknowledgments" is a special or one of two special cases. The
> document author can use the proposed representation for whatever
> purpose she needs (subject to other IETF rules, of course).

The reason I chose the restricted wording is simple: since author names
are used in various RFC databases, HTML RFC index pages and the like,
inserting <U+> into those items seems counterproductive at this point.
Naturally, this concern does not apply to acknowledgments, so personal
preference can be given wider latitude there.

Henning