[rfc-i] Draft: Representation of Unicode and UTF-8 characters

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat May 15 09:32:13 PDT 2004

My assumption is that, just like today, the spelling would be up to
the author/editor writing the document; a person whose name is being
spelled is given an informal opportunity to correct or suggest a
different spelling. Thus, Patrik would be able to use whatever
spelling he prefers. This is no different from current situation
except folks do not have the opportunity to use Unicode characters.

I agree that the necessity is debatable, but I assume that since folks
propose it, they want/need it. FWIW, I have non-ASCII characters in my
name, but would not use them in an all-ASCII all-English document.

Note that the polished wording I proposed does not imply that "names
in acknowledgments" is a special or one of two special cases. The
document author can use the proposed representation for whatever
purpose she needs (subject to other IETF rules, of course).

Thanks,

Alex.