[rfc-i] RFC Standard Process question

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Fri May 7 10:00:06 PDT 2004

   *> Hi,
  *>
  *> I have the following question about what kind of changes are allowable
  *> when a specification is meant to be advanced from "Proposed" to "Draft".
  *>
  *> Assuming a specification defines a core protocol, plus a set of features
  *> that are clearly marked as "optional" (so a server doesn't need to
  *> implement them), and in particular the protocol defines how support for
  *> these features can be discovered at runtime.
  *>
  *> Is it possible to advance the base protocol to "Draft" while removing
  *> optional features from the document (possibly moving them into a
  *> separate document)?
  *>
  *> Looking at the history of RFC2396 (currently at "Draft") indicates that
  *> this has happened before, and certainly this makes a lot of sense. On
  *> the other hand, some people are telling me that in cases like these, the
  *> protocol revision would need to go back to "Proposed".
  *>
  *> Feedback appreciated,
  *>
  *> Julian
  *>

Julian,

This is a question about the IETF standards process rather than about
RFCs, really.  You can read what RFC 2026 says about Draft Standard in
a lawyerly way, but in the end what really matters is what the current
IESG members think ;-)  Maybe you should take the question to the ietf
list?

(My personal reaction to your question would be, "generally, yes".)

Bob Braden