[rfc-i] RFC Standard Process question

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri May 7 07:33:19 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have the following question about what kind of changes are allowable
when a specification is meant to be advanced from "Proposed" to "Draft".

Assuming a specification defines a core protocol, plus a set of features
that are clearly marked as "optional" (so a server doesn't need to
implement them), and in particular the protocol defines how support for
these features can be discovered at runtime.

Is it possible to advance the base protocol to "Draft" while removing
optional features from the document (possibly moving them into a
separate document)?

Looking at the history of RFC2396 (currently at "Draft") indicates that
this has happened before, and certainly this makes a lot of sense. On
the other hand, some people are telling me that in cases like these, the
protocol revision would need to go back to "Proposed".

Feedback appreciated,

Julian