[rfc-i] UTF-8 and Unicode examples

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue May 4 12:29:30 PDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > Should tools like xml2rfc accept/interpret raw UTF-8, the escape
> > sequence above, or both? This matters because these tools produce
> > both ASCII text and HTML versions of specs.
>
> I'd find it very dangerous if tools like xml2rfc would keep the
> non-ASCII characters in HTML output, but escape them in TXT output.

I would find that natural.

> People frequently only check the HTML output, but in the end what
> matters is readable TXT output.

In my experience, we have already crossed the line where readable HTML
output implies readable TXT output with xml2rfc. YMMV.

> On the other hand, I think it would make a *lot* of sense to discuss
> allowing at least certain non-ASCII characters inside TXT versions
> (encoded as UTF-8).

Based on IETF powers-that-be comments on various IETF lists, such a
discussion would probably be a waste of time for now. For good or bad,
the inertia is too high, and it is trivial to come up with use cases
where anything but ASCII would not be acceptable.  Try again in five
years or so :-/.

Alex.