[rfc-i] UTF-8 and Unicode examples

Kurt D. Zeilenga Kurt at OpenLDAP.org
Tue May 4 12:24:53 PDT 2004

At 07:19 AM 5/4/2004, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>Thanks for the pointer. I would suggest that the following convention be adopted:

Before we attempt to discuss the merits of any particular convention,
I think we should discuss whether it appropriate or not to adopt
a particular convention.

I doubt that one could devise a convention that would work
for all RFCs.  As I demonstrated in the examples I posted, often
documents need to use multiple conventions.

We never defined conventions for ASCII examples (whose
representations are ambiguous or otherwise unclear).  We got
along there without adopting a convention for all RFCs to
follow.

Sure, Unicode contains a lot more characters which are
problematic when used in examples... but I don't see why
the approaches we've used with problematic ASCII characters
wouldn't work with Unicode characters.

But, more to the point, I think our operational experience
with ASCII shows that one convention is insufficient and the
current practice of allowing documents to define appropriate
conventions for their needs works just fine.

Just as we do with ASCII escaping, we should encourage reuse
of established conventions (such as Unicode conventions).  But
I don't think we need to be BCP'ing anything here.

Kurt