[rfc-i] rfc-info needs your help!

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Mar 31 17:49:06 PST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Bob Hinden wrote:

> I had suggested a different way to do it that would
> avoid the current problems.

My point is that there are other, far more important problems good
folks at RFC Editor should work on. Nobody is saying that there is no
solution for the problem. Sometimes, avoiding the problem is better
than solving it.

> Yes, but only if one has "wget" on their platform.  I was also
> thinking about other types of platforms such as smart phones, PDAs,
> etc.

Folks that care about platforms with e-mail and no http, folks that
want to reboot their computers while fetching RFCs, folks that want
RFC translations, folks behind overly restrictive firewalls, etc.
etc. are welcome to setup their own proxies/services/wrappers/etc. Raw
data is available for them.

Again, IMO, accommodating all platforms/environments should not be the
RFC Editor job, at least not today. Providing web access is sufficient
to cover at least 95% of current use cases and no service will
accommodate 100% of possible use cases.

I was worried this question would end up in the discussion about
weather RFC Editor is in business of helping politically oppressed
folks to get RFCs. I did not expect it to turn into a discussion
whether RFC Editor is in business of accommodating web-challenged
platforms!

-oo-

Alex.