[rfc-i] rfc-info needs your help!

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Mar 31 09:27:59 PST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Aaron Falk wrote:

> 3. Drop the service all together.  Let people use the RFC Editor web
> and ftp services to retrieve documents.  This seems undesirable as
> the service does get used and there are places where web access is
> limited. We'd strongly like to preserve email as a method of
> retrieving RFCs.

Without seeing the actual usage counts and analyses, I have to assume
that the number of users without web access is negligible compared to
the total number of users retrieving documents over the web. Since RFC
Editor already has more high-priority work than it can handle, my
recommendation would be to suspend this marginal service.

While trying to support minority needs is noble, there is always a
point where it becomes prohibitively expensive. For example, RFC
Editor does not offer hand-delivery of documents to those without
network access!

Finally, if current service users without alternatives truly need
this, they should help themselves by installing a web-to-email proxy
on a third party computer. If such a proxy does not exist, a simple
version of it can be written without much effort. It seems to me that
such a proxy would offer 90% of what the current custom interface
provides.

On a side note, it would be great to hear from web-challenged people
so that their needs in retrieving documents over e-mail are adequately
represented.

HTH,

Alex.