[rfc-i] Status of draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Jun 10 13:21:21 PDT 2004

  *>
  *> - This sets a really bad precedent. It is almost exactly akin to
  *> "create your protocol from the Internet Draft that we will keep
  *> renewing; we're not going to bother to get an RFC".
  *>

Sorry, I don't get your point.  What is wrong with a living document
as a bridge.

  *> - The draft expired many months ago, and is only being kept alive
  *> because of its status in the queue. Again, a bad precedent for the
  *> rest of the IETF.

It happens. But in fact we should update it, and as I said we will do
so before San Diego.

  *>
  *> - The link from the RFC Editor's page seems to be broken.
  *> <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/instructions2authors.txt>
  *> doesn't get me anything.
  *>

!? I just checked from both Explorer and Netscape, and neither had an
trouble finding it.  Could someone else verify an inability to reach this
URL?

  *> >(2) events and people have put a great deal of pressure on the RFC
  *> >Editor recently, and we have limited resources.  Some staff members
  *> >already put in significant unpaid effort because they believe in the
  *> >effort.  We simply have not had time to do the next update.  We hope
  *> >to do so before San Diego.
  *>
  *> This is very confusing. From the ID Tracker, it looks like there is
  *> only one small outstanding issue; it should take less than half an
  *> hour to fix. Are there issues not listed on the tracker?
  *>

Paul, you obviously has no concept of the work needed to run the
RFC Editor.

Bob Braden

  *> --Paul Hoffman, Director
  *> --VPN Consortium