[rfc-i] Status of draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Jun 10 11:49:56 PDT 2004

Paul Hoffman asks:
 *>
  *> Greetings again. According to the Internet Drafts tracker,
  *> draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis has been stuck for nine months waiting
  *> for comments back to the shepherding AD (Harald Alvestrand). Is that
  *> really true? We reall need this document finished and made an RFC. If
  *> it isn't true, someone should get the I-D tracker to reflect reality.
  *>

Paul,

It may be formally true, but it does not reflect reality.  The reality
is this:

(1) the RFC Editor has generally taken a go-slow attitude on
publishing 2223bis.  We lived for many years with 2223 as it became
more and more out of date.  We have wanted to wait for a period of
stability before publishing its successor.  In the meantime, the I-D
pointed to by the RFC Editor web page provides a living document
with the latest information.  We have thought this sufficient
to bridge the gap for the time being.

(2) events and people have put a great deal of pressure on the RFC
Editor recently, and we have limited resources.  Some staff members
already put in significant unpaid effort because they believe in the
effort.  We simply have not had time to do the next update.  We hope
to do so before San Diego.

Bob Braden for the RFC Editor