[rfc-i] Increasing WG chair role in RFC-editor editing process?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Sun Feb 29 12:03:32 PST 2004

  *>
  *> Hi,
  *>
  *> This little practicality has hit me as WG chair a couple of times,
  *> so.. perhas this is just a matter of RFC editor changing its process,
  *> but if not, this should be another tiny improvement in the process.
  *>
  *> When a document which is product of a WG is being edited by the RFC
  *> editor, any questions/issues/etc. are addressed to the document
  *> authors and the shepherding AD.
  *>
  *> My argument is that this list should be the document authors (or
  *> editor, whatever's the case), WG chairs, and the shepherding AD.
  *>
  *> The AD's job would be just to ensure that WG chairs don't get out of
  *> hand.. and the final check & balance would be at AUTH48, AD approving
  *> that the document hasn't been substantially modified.
  *>
  *> This kind of slight "power raise" helps in the scenario where the
  *> document authors have gone dormant, and are not responding to their
  *> mails in {days, weeks, months, never}.
  *>
  *> Currently either the AD has to take care of these issues, or act as an
  *> SMTP relay between the RFC editor and the chairs.
  *>
  *> Would make sense?
  *>

Pekka,

This makes good sense to me, and I believe that the RFC Editor would
welcome such a change that improves communication.  The cost is a
little bit of extra book-keeping.  It might be helpful if the IESG
included the email addresses of the relevant chairs in their submission
message to the RFC Editor.  Perhaps we could add the info to our queue
entries (but the staff needs a chance to talk this over, probably after
IETF.)

(We also note that this change, to empower WG chairs in the publication
process, is consistent with one of the suggested directions for IETF
reorganization.)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob Braden, for the RFC Editor