[rfc-i] errata maintenance

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Apr 14 08:35:41 PDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:

Tuesday 13 April 2004, Bob Braden wrote:
> How about one simple URL:
> 	www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html?
> It's already there.

RFC-specific links are much better than a general rfcsearch.html link
because they give humans and machines what they are looking for. A
general link gives them nothing but the next hop on the path to the
information.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Or you could do something similar to what I've set up on the Mip4 WG
> website:
> 	http://mip4.org/show/rfc/2060
> which if you follow it gives you everything on one plate, and
> although not official is also there today...

I like the "one plate" approach.

If RFC Editor adopts something like that, it may be worth discussing
whether it is a good idea to mix metadata (obsoleted, errata, etc.
links) with data (the RFC text) at the _top_ level. That is, should
the top-level "plate" contain just metadata, suitable for both human
and machine processing? Separating metadata maybe the Right Thing to
do in the ideal world (IMO), but on this planet it may lead to folks
just using the "actual text" links, bypassing metadata.

$0.02,

Alex.