[rfc-i] Committee for opposing more tedious boilerplate (was: errata maintenance)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Apr 13 16:08:38 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, John C Klensin wrote:

> It is my understanding that the lawyers don't like this sort of
> idea, precisely because of the ease with which a web page can be
> changed out from under a document, resulting in conditions
> different from those under which the document was published.

The text and/or links can be polished to accommodate any lawyer demands
IETF would like to accommodate. I suspect all such accommodations can
continue to occur at the end of the document, so they seem to be
irrelevant to this "boilerplate is tedious" discussion.

> While the other three lines you list might work, the bulk of the
> boilerplate today is lawyer-associated or lawyer-induced, so the
> savings might not be great.

Great! Since the legal stuff is all at the bottom of the document
(except for a single Copyright line which can be moved as well), it
seems to be irrelevant to your complaint that adding more non-legal
information to the boilerplate [at the beginning of the document]
hurts.

Alex.