[rfc-i] errata maintenance

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Apr 13 11:08:53 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Bob Hinden wrote:
> >Speaking of which, the IETF should add a pointer/heads-up at
> >http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html. (Not sure that folks are using that
> >either, but it's the only place to put it at on IETF pages unless you
> >would consider some kind of standard boilerplate in the future
> >documents themselves.)
>
> Not sure anyone suggested this yet but another approach might be to add
> some boiler plate to each new RFC pointing to the errata page.

Yep, that's a possibility.  If so, maybe along the lines of:

 RFCs are forever; an RFC is never modified after publication.
 However, RFCs can be reclassified: made historic, obsoleted completely,
 or updated by subsequent RFCs.  The current status of an RFC must be
 checked in the RFC index [URL], not in the document itself.  Editorial
 errata for RFCs is also available at [URL2].

If we'd go down that route, I'd consider coining up very simple URLs
to be used, like:

www.rfc-editor.org/status/
www.rfc-editor.org/status/1234 [shows the status of RFC1234]
www.rfc-editor.org/errata/