[rfc-i] errata maintenance

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Apr 13 09:51:11 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:

> Most IETF folks still don't know (or don't remember) the RFC errata.

Not to mention the _users_ of IETF specs, a far larger and arguably
more important group than IETF folks.

> Maybe the RFC Editor can put together a nice announcement about it
> for WG chairs to distribute to their mailing lists. There will
> probably be a flood of editorial nits immediately afterward, but
> there will also be greater awareness of the service.

I would only do the above if RFC Editor considers the current errata
maintenance mechanisms satisfactory. Otherwise, it is a bad idea to
solicit more errata until the maintenance is fixed.

In fact, that's one of the reasons I asked the question. I am trying
to decide whether it is worth the effort or even possible to submit my
errata now, given the submission rules and [lack of] maintenance
mechanisms. Good errata maintenance is difficult and I want to know
whether RFC Editor cares about errata and has the desire/resources to
maintain it.

Alex.