[rfc-i] rfc-info needs your help!

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Fri Apr 9 11:58:06 PDT 2004

--On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 09:06:34 -0500, Mark Allman
<mallman at icir.org> wrote,

>> 3. Drop the service all together.  Let people use the RFC
>> Editor web  and ftp services to retrieve documents.  This
>> seems undesirable as the service does get used and there are
>> places where web access is limited.  We'd strongly like to
>> preserve email as a method of retrieving RFCs.
>
> Note the part where the rfc-ed says "this service does get
> used".  I think your opinion has been noted at this point.
> Why does everything have to be a long and drawn out discussion
> in the IETF?  We don't know what is important and what is not.
> I thought it was pretty clear from the original message that
> they wanted to preserve the service and not incur great cost
> in doing so (e.g., they didn't even sound like they were
> willing to upgrade the hardware - which would be a pretty cheap
> undertaking).  Why do folks feel like they need to micro-manage
> everything the rfc-ed does?  If the rfc-ed does not tackle
> this little problem do you think there will be a noticeable
> increase in their output rate?  Why are we engaged in this
> hairsplitting?  Go review a document in last call.  It will
> help much more than continuing this thresd. Sheesh!

I have to agree with Mark, especially about the last couple of
sentences above.  And, without getting deep into political
correctness, there really are folks who are seriously bandwidth
and connectively challenged at various times for whom "mail it
to me" is the only practical option for getting to materials
that they actually need.  Our cutting them off because they lack
sufficient technology or connectivity is just not what we are
supposed to be about.

That said, if the RFC Editor doesn't have sufficient tools to
tackle this directly, easily, and well (it certainly is not what
I would consider a mainstream, critical-path task for them), I
think I can identify several sites that might be willing to
maintain a mirror of the RFC directory for this purpose and hook
it up to an email responder.  If a discussion on that topic
would be useful, someone appropriate on the RFC Editor staff
should contact me directly -- I can't imagine that the
discussion would be a useful list topic.

    john