[rfc-i] The hazards of being an editor...

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 8 11:27:35 PDT 2004

An RFC author sent us the following during the authors' 48 hour review:

  *>
  *>
  *> Page 15 (This one I am not sure, but believe the ',' must be outside
  *> the quotes):
  *> OLD:
  *>     In order to apply the the template to all interfaces that have a role
  *>     match of "Administrator,"
  *>
  *> NEW:
  *>     In order to apply the the template to all interfaces that have a role
  *>     match of "Administrator",
  *>

We replied:

Ah, that problem! Strunk & White, "The Elements of Style," say:

	Typographical usage dictates that the comma be inside the marks,
	though logically it often seems not to belong there.

The RFC Editor prides itself on being logical, so we are willing to accept
either form.  However, the Gods of Syntax do seem to favor ,"

RFC Editor