[rfc-i] rfc-info needs your help!

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Sun Apr 4 10:25:53 PDT 2004

--On Wednesday, March 31, 2004 Alex Rousskov
<rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

> IMO, RFC Editor should not be in business of providing
> backdoor to those who try to circumvent local policies (even
> if those policies are considered evil by IETF majority).
> Others like friends and colleagues abroad can provide such
> backdoors.

Alex,

Sorry, but the above would be reasonable if there were strong
evidence that the blockage was an intentional and accurate
implementation of local policy.  But the vast majority of these
blockages which email can get around fall into one of two
categories...

(1) A policy is implemented in a way that blocks facilities and
information to which the policy doesn't actually apply, at least
intentionally.     This case is pretty common and we are not
helping someone "circumvent local policies" but to work around
an intended bit of wrong-coding over which they have no control.

(2) A policy, possibly by the individual trying to obtain the
information, that recognizes the existence of time-of-day
pricing, or high prices for "online internationally" time on
Internet access and/or mail gateways that are set up to let
large files through only when critical links are not seriously
congested. "Send this to me by mail" automatically handles the
latter and may help considerably with the first.

   john